Brief introduction to the WBIF and its Requirements
The three basic requirements for each Nation participating in the WBIF are:
- All matches played are at least to 7 points
- Electronic match files should be submitted for every match played
- It is the responsibility of each participating Nation to manage and maintain its database and match files on an own website, inputting scores, modifying tables and ranking lists as appropriate. Scheduling of matches is similarly the responsibility of the participating Player.
These webpages is available in English, German, and Turkish.
The World Backgammon Internet Federation (WBIF) is an internet based organisation which provides a framework to participating Nations to organise and manage online National Championship backgammon tournaments. Austria, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Italy, Georgia, Iran, Greece and Turkey organise National Championships through the WBIF, and other countries are expected to participate soon.
In addition to National Championships, the WBIF will also host and organise (with the assistance of participating Nations) the following World international events:
- WBIF World Nations Team Tournament: World Team Championship
- Champions Cup (for the three best Players of national championships)
- World Cup (for fourth, fifth and sixth places in the National Championships)
- Open tournaments for participants from all World Countries registered with the WBIF: WBIF Open
The WBIF provides and maintains a database of error-rate based performance ratings for all players participating in international WBIF events.
WBIF Tournaments Format
Generally, tournaments will be of the round robin format, typically with the participants playing each other at least once depending on the specific tournament requirements. Matches will be played to at least 7 points. The round robin tournaments are of no fixed schedule and are therefore very flexible for the participants who are required to arrange and schedule their own matches at mutually convenient times and dates with their opponents (allowing flexibility for different time zones if appropriate). On average, players will play one match per week over the duration of the tournament. Another important format within WBIF is the Triple-KO Modus
Registration is free but is managed by the participating National Federations/Associations. The applicant must provide the following data: First and Last Names, email address, preferred Backgammon Server (e.g., GridGammon, FIBS, etc.), Nickname on Server, and Nationality. Only Nicknames and names will be visible on the WBIF website. Successful applicants will receive further tournament details via email. Only Servers which allow the electronic saving of matchfiles will be used for WBIF events. Each individual WBIF event will be held on one particular Server. It should be noted that the WBIF website is not a Backgammon Server.
The tournament draw sheets and results tables are available on the website at “Active Torunaments”.
In addition to the annual titles of National Champion, Champions Cup Winner, and WBIF Cup Winner, Mastership titles are synhcronised with BMAB