Brief introduction to the WBIF and its Requirements
(These webpages is available in English, German, French, Russian and Turkish.)
Overview of the WBIF
The World Backgammon Internet Federation (WBIF) is an internet-based organization which provides a framework to participating nations to organize and manage online national championship backgammon tournaments. Austria, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Hungary, Italy, Georgia, Iran, Greece, Sweden, United Kingdom, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Ireland, and Turkey organize national championships through the WBIF, and other nations are expected to join soon.
The WBIF was created and is governed and supported by committed individuals. The server that is used, BG Studio heroes, guarantees players privacy and security. In addition to national championships, the WBIF hosts and organizes (with the assistance of participating nations) the following international events:
- WBIF Team World Championship
- WBIF Individual World Championship
- WBIF Individual Speed World Championship
- WBIF Club World Championship
- WBIF Consultation World Championship
- Champions Cup (for the three best Players of national championships)
- WBIF (World) Cup (for fourth, fifth and sixth places in the National Championships)
- Open tournaments for participants from all World Countries registered with the WBIF: WBIF Open
- Backgammon Leagues on national and international level
- Youth Tournaments in 3 age categories.
The WBIF provides and maintains a database of error-rate based performance ratings for all players participating in international WBIF events.
A tournament director has the authority to discontinue a tournament for technical or other reasons. In such a case, the players may not continue the tournament on their own. Participation in tournaments – with the exception of national championships -- requires payment of an annual membership fee.
Requirments for Participation
The three basic requirements for each Nation participating in the WBIF are:
- All matches played are at least to 7 points
- Electronic match files should be submitted for every match played
- It is the responsibility of each participating Nation to manage and maintain its database and match files on an own website, inputting scores, modifying tables and ranking lists as appropriate. Scheduling of matches is similarly the responsibility of the participating Player.
WBIF Tournaments Format
Generally, tournaments will be organsied with swiss system (danish sytsem) or of the round robin format, typically with the participants playing each other at least once depending on the specific tournament requirements. Matches will be played to at least 7 points. The round robin tournaments can be without fixed schedule and are therefore very flexible for the participants who are required to arrange and schedule their own matches at mutually convenient times and dates with their opponents (allowing flexibility for different time zones if appropriate). On average, players will play one match per week over the duration of the tournament. Another important format within WBIF is the Triple-KO Modus.
Registration is free but is managed by the participating National Federations/Associations. The applicant must provide the following data: First and Last Names, email address, birthyear, Nickname on Server BG Studio Heroes, and Nationality. Only Nicknames and names will be visible on the WBIF website. Successful applicants will receive further tournament details via email. Only Servers which allow the electronic saving of matchfiles will be used for WBIF events. Each individual WBIF event will be held on one particular Server. It should be noted that the WBIF website is not a Backgammon Server.
The tournament draw sheets and results tables are available on the website at “WBIF Tournaments” or "Nat. Tournaments".
In addition to the annual titles of National Champion, World Champion, Champions Cup Winner, and WBIF(World) Cup Winner, Mastership titles are synchronised with BMAB